Walmart is a multinational retail corporation based in the United States, founded in 1962. It is one of the world’s largest and most well-known retail chains, operating a vast network of physical stores and an extensive online presence. Walmart offers a wide range of products, including groceries, electronics, clothing, home goods, and more. The company is known for its low prices and has a significant presence in both the United States and several other countries, providing consumers with a one-stop shopping destination for a variety of needs.
Our Sourcing Services for Walmart eCommerce
|Get A Free Quote|
|Get A Free Quote|
|Get A Free Quote|
|Get A Free Quote|
What is Walmart?
Walmart is an American multinational retail corporation and one of the world’s largest and most well-known retailers. Founded in 1962 by Sam Walton, Walmart operates a chain of discount department stores, hypermarkets, and grocery stores. The company is headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas.
Walmart is known for its wide range of products, including groceries, clothing, electronics, household goods, and more. The retail giant operates both physical stores and an extensive online platform, allowing customers to shop in-store or online for home delivery or store pickup. Walmart has a significant presence in the United States and operates stores internationally.
In addition to its retail operations, Walmart has expanded into various other business segments, including Walmart International, Sam’s Club (a membership-based warehouse club), and Walmart eCommerce. The company has also been actively involved in initiatives related to sustainability, corporate responsibility, and technology innovation.
Step-by-step Guide to Selling on Walmart
Selling on Walmart can be a lucrative opportunity for e-commerce businesses. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to sell on Walmart:
- Create a Walmart Seller Account:
- Visit Walmart’s official marketplace website.
- Click on the “Apply Now” button to begin the application process.
- Provide your business information, including your legal business name, address, tax identification number, and contact information.
- Choose the type of Walmart seller account you want, which can be a Marketplace Seller or a First-Party (1P) Supplier.
- Meet Walmart’s Requirements:
- Walmart has specific requirements for sellers, such as a solid fulfillment and shipping process, customer service standards, and competitive pricing. Ensure your business meets these criteria.
- Complete the Onboarding Process:
- Once your application is approved, you will receive access to the Walmart Seller Center. Complete the onboarding process by providing additional details about your business and setting up your seller profile.
- List Your Products:
- Use the Walmart Seller Center to list your products. You can add product details, images, prices, and inventory quantities.
- Pricing Strategy:
- Competitive pricing is crucial on Walmart. Research your competitors and price your products competitively to attract customers.
- Fulfillment and Shipping:
- You can fulfill orders through two methods: Fulfillment by Walmart (FBW) or Fulfillment by Merchant (FBM).
- With FBW, Walmart handles storage, packing, and shipping. With FBM, you manage these aspects yourself.
- Ensure you meet Walmart’s shipping standards, including fast and reliable delivery.
- Customer Service:
- Provide excellent customer service. Walmart has strict customer service standards, and you should respond to customer inquiries and issues promptly.
- Optimize Listings:
- Regularly update and optimize your product listings. Use high-quality images and detailed product descriptions.
- Advertise on Walmart:
- Walmart offers advertising options to promote your products. Consider using these tools to increase visibility.
- Monitor Performance:
- Regularly track your sales, customer feedback, and overall performance metrics in the Seller Center dashboard.
- Compliance and Policies:
- Familiarize yourself with Walmart’s seller policies, including return policies and product content guidelines, to ensure compliance.
- Expand Your Catalog:
- As you establish a presence on Walmart, consider expanding your product catalog to attract a wider range of customers.
- Promotions and Special Offers:
- Offer promotions, discounts, and special deals to attract more customers and boost sales.
- Feedback and Reviews:
- Encourage satisfied customers to leave positive reviews, as this can boost your credibility on the platform.
- Scale Your Business:
- As your sales grow, consider scaling your operations, optimizing your supply chain, and exploring new product categories.
- Stay Informed:
- Keep up with Walmart’s updates, policy changes, and best practices for sellers through their official resources and communications.
Selling on Walmart requires commitment and effort to meet their standards and provide a great shopping experience for customers. It’s essential to continually adapt your strategies to succeed in the competitive e-commerce landscape on the platform.
How to Get Positive Reviews from Buyers
- Provide High-Quality Products:
- Ensure that your products meet or exceed customer expectations. High-quality items are more likely to result in positive reviews.
- Accurate Product Descriptions:
- Provide clear and accurate product descriptions. Set proper expectations about what the customer will receive, reducing the likelihood of disappointment.
- Responsive Customer Service:
- Respond promptly to customer inquiries and address any issues or concerns they may have. A positive customer service experience can lead to positive reviews.
- Fast and Reliable Shipping:
- Ensure timely and reliable shipping. Customers appreciate receiving their orders promptly and in good condition.
- Follow Up with Customers:
- Send follow-up emails to customers asking for feedback after they have received their products. Make sure to include a link to the product review page on Walmart’s website.
- Incentivize Reviews:
- Consider offering incentives for customers who leave reviews. This could be in the form of discounts on future purchases or entry into a giveaway.
- Optimize Packaging:
- Pay attention to the packaging of your products. Well-packaged items not only protect the product but also create a positive unboxing experience for the customer.
- Educational Content:
- Include informative content with your products. This can be in the form of user manuals, care instructions, or helpful tips. Customers appreciate brands that go the extra mile to provide value.
- Monitor and Address Negative Reviews:
- Keep an eye on reviews and address any negative feedback promptly and professionally. Demonstrating that you care about customer satisfaction can mitigate the impact of negative reviews.
- Encourage Happy Customers to Share:
- Identify satisfied customers and encourage them to share their positive experiences online. This could include testimonials on your website or social media platforms.
- Utilize Social Proof:
- Showcase positive reviews on your website and in marketing materials. Social proof can influence potential buyers and build trust in your brand.
- Optimize Product Pages:
- Ensure that your product pages on Walmart’s website are well-optimized with clear images, detailed descriptions, and any relevant information that can help customers make informed purchasing decisions.
FAQs about Selling on Walmart
- What are the requirements to become a Walmart seller? Walmart has specific requirements for sellers, including a U.S. business address, tax identification number, W-9 or W-8 form, and a valid bank account. Additional requirements may apply depending on your business type.
- What types of products can I sell on Walmart? Walmart has a wide range of product categories available for sellers. However, they have certain restrictions on prohibited items. Make sure to review their product guidelines to ensure your items comply.
- What fees are associated with selling on Walmart? Walmart charges various fees, including referral fees based on the category of the item, subscription fees (if applicable), and fulfillment fees for orders fulfilled by Walmart. It’s essential to understand these fees to accurately price your products.
- Can I fulfill orders myself or use Walmart Fulfillment Services? Sellers have the option to fulfill orders themselves or use Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS). WFS is a program where Walmart handles the storage, packing, and shipping of your products.
- How does Walmart handle shipping and returns? Walmart provides a shipping template to set your shipping rates and times. You can choose to fulfill orders using your own logistics or leverage Walmart’s fulfillment services. Walmart also has a return policy that sellers must adhere to.
- How does Walmart handle customer service for sellers? Walmart has a Seller Support team that can assist with various issues, including account setup, product listings, and order-related inquiries. Sellers are encouraged to monitor and manage their customer service interactions.
- What is the Buy Box, and how can I win it? The Buy Box is the box on a product detail page where customers can begin the purchasing process. Winning the Buy Box increases your chances of making a sale. Factors that influence winning the Buy Box include price, fulfillment method, and seller performance.
- How does Walmart handle product reviews and ratings? Customers can leave reviews and ratings for products on Walmart. Positive reviews and high ratings can enhance your product’s visibility. Responding to customer reviews and providing excellent customer service can contribute to a positive seller reputation.
- What marketing and promotional tools does Walmart offer to sellers? Walmart provides advertising solutions, including Sponsored Products and Display Ads, to help sellers promote their products and increase visibility on the platform. Sellers can create campaigns to reach their target audience.